The acting Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Dr. Sarah Alade, Wednesday described the fire that gutted the premises of the bank in the commercial city of Lagos, as not causing any serious damage to vital documents.
“Nothing like cash or vital documents were lost to the fire. The fire occurred as a result of electricity sparks and we are going to take measure to relocate the staff,” Dr. Alade told journalists shortly after inspecting the building which was built in the 1950s.
She said “The fire started from the first floor, spreading to other floors and it affected the Foreign Exchange Trading floor thereby disrupting trading.”
Dr. Alade, however, told journalists that full foreign exchange trading will resume on Thursday, stressing that precautionary measure will be taken to avoid a repeat of the fire.